Key Not Responding on Cyborg Compact - Need Assistance

zhomeslice

Verified member
Feb 19, 2024
Hello everyone, I've encountered a frustrating issue with my Cyborg Compact keyboard where the "[3]" key (Default profile keybind or #10 Azeron key) has suddenly stopped working. This happened without any apparent reason, and I'm seeking advice on how to fix it.

The issue started recently, and there wasn't any noticeable event leading up to it, such as a spill or a drop that might have caused the key to stop working. I've taken several steps in an attempt to resolve the problem, including:

• Updating the firmware to version 86b.
  • Software Version 1.4.1
  • Restoring all settings to their defaults through the keyboard's software.
  • Reinstalling the keyboard's software and clearing all related settings by deleting the contents of the user AppData folder.
  • Opening up the keyboard to check the internal connections and tightening screw terminals, some of which were slightly loose.
Despite these efforts, the "3" key remains unresponsive, while all other keys on the keyboard are working perfectly.

I'm using the keyboard with a Windows 11 PC, and I've made sure that all drivers and software are up to date. There have been no error messages or other hardware issues noted, just the "3" key not working.

I'm at a bit of a loss for what to do next and would greatly appreciate any advice or suggestions from the community. Has anyone experienced a similar issue or knows of a potential fix? I'm open to both software and hardware solutions and would like to understand if this is a known issue with this model.

I'm happy to provide further details or clarification if needed. Unfortunately, replacing the keyboard isn't an option for me at the moment, so I'm really hoping to find a solution that can restore its full functionality.

Thank you all in advance for your help and support. I've always found this community to be incredibly knowledgeable and helpful, and I'm hopeful someone can point me in the right direction to get my keyboard fully operational again.

Best,
Z

Last edited:

Im this guy

Staff member
Nov 5, 2021
Hello everyone, I've encountered a frustrating issue with my Cyborg Compact keyboard where the "3" (Default profile) key has suddenly stopped working. This happened without any apparent reason, and I'm seeking advice on how to fix it.

The issue started recently, and there wasn't any noticeable event leading up to it, such as a spill or a drop that might have caused the key to stop working. I've taken several steps in an attempt to resolve the problem, including:

• Updating the firmware to version 86b.
  • Software Version 1.4.1
  • Restoring all settings to their defaults through the keyboard's software.
  • Reinstalling the keyboard's software and clearing all related settings by deleting the contents of the user AppData folder.
  • Opening up the keyboard to check the internal connections and tightening screw terminals, some of which were slightly loose.
Despite these efforts, the "3" key remains unresponsive, while all other keys on the keyboard are working perfectly.

I'm using the keyboard with a Windows 11 PC, and I've made sure that all drivers and software are up to date. There have been no error messages or other hardware issues noted, just the "3" key not working.

I'm at a bit of a loss for what to do next and would greatly appreciate any advice or suggestions from the community. Has anyone experienced a similar issue or knows of a potential fix? I'm open to both software and hardware solutions and would like to understand if this is a known issue with this model.

I'm happy to provide further details or clarification if needed. Unfortunately, replacing the keyboard isn't an option for me at the moment, so I'm really hoping to find a solution that can restore its full functionality.

Thank you all in advance for your help and support. I've always found this community to be incredibly knowledgeable and helpful, and I'm hopeful someone can point me in the right direction to get my keyboard fully operational again.

Best,
Z
Try swapping the wire for the key 3 and the nearest button wire on the same tower, then test on whether after the swap, the key starts responding, but registering as other key. And to see on whether pressing the other key now registers the input on #3

That way you`ll know on whether it`s caused by a board or the signal coming from the tower.

zhomeslice

Verified member
Feb 19, 2024
Try swapping the wire for the key 3 and the nearest button wire on the same tower, then test on whether after the swap, the key starts responding, but registering as other key. And to see on whether pressing the other key now registers the input on #3

That way you`ll know on whether it`s caused by a board or the signal coming from the tower.
Thank you @Im this guy That is an excellent suggestion. While I am quite good at electronics, which is a hobby of mine, I am quite sure it is a software/firmware issue. But with that said, I removed the palm rest form to expose the Azeron MPU (Micro Processing Unit) terminal strips. I attached a jumper wire to the ground terminal strip, and with a little search, I discovered a diagram that assisted me in determining which pins were digital inputs.
index.php

(click to enlarge.)
While doing this, I was especially cautious not to test any of the LED outputs, the analog stick inputs, or the mode switch inputs. (if anyone is attempting to copy my troubleshooting, I would be extra cautious not to short the LED outputs to the ground, as I do not know the current limitation methods of the MPU.)
I also cleared the profile and got the actual switch numbers rather than the default profile keybinds.

(Click to enlarge.)
All but the #10 key registered as expected. ( [3] keyboard key was bound to the Azeron #10 key)

The above image shows me shorting pin #4 as per the schematic shown above. This is the pin that is failing to register, as well as my simple testing procedure.

All suggestions are welcome, and I am hoping to resolve this issue soon.
Z

Attachments

• Azeron Cyborf Key Numbers.jpg
    Azeron Cyborf Key Numbers.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 38
  • 0b906277-3c65-4907-9c65-823ed8887f08.jpg
    0b906277-3c65-4907-9c65-823ed8887f08.jpg
    232.4 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:

Im this guy

Staff member
Nov 5, 2021
Thank you @Im this guy That is an excellent suggestion. While I am quite good at electronics, which is a hobby of mine, I am quite sure it is a software/firmware issue. But with that said, I removed the palm rest form to expose the Azeron MPU (Micro Processing Unit) terminal strips. I attached a jumper wire to the ground terminal strip, and with a little search, I discovered a diagram that assisted me in determining which pins were digital inputs.
index.php

(click to enlarge.)
While doing this, I was especially cautious not to test any of the LED outputs, the analog stick inputs, or the mode switch inputs. (if anyone is attempting to copy my troubleshooting, I would be extra cautious not to short the LED outputs to the ground, as I do not know the current limitation methods of the MPU.)
I also cleared the profile and got the actual switch numbers rather than the default profile keybinds.

(Click to enlarge.)
All but the #10 key registered as expected. ( [3] keyboard key was bound to the Azeron #10 key)

The above image shows me shorting pin #4 as per the schematic shown above. This is the pin that is failing to register, as well as my simple testing procedure.

All suggestions are welcome, and I am hoping to resolve this issue soon.
Z
Sounds like the issue will be in the tower. Place any other button wire in the slot and carry the same test method. It should light up.

zhomeslice

Verified member
Feb 19, 2024
Sounds like the issue will be in the tower. Place any other button wire in the slot and carry the same test method. It should light up.
<<<< I discovered the cause of my problem >>>>

Now, while I had a high drought, the problem was in the tower, I decided to test your theory to its fullest extent. So I removed the wire from the MPU #4 terminal strip isolating the tower, and then started by double-checking my initial results by shorting the MPU terminal #4 to the ground block.... and it worked!!!!! until I reconnected the wire to the terminal and then it stopped working... so I decided to hold down the #10 button and use my screwdriver to wiggle the #4 screw, and now the screwdriver can get the input to trigger without any other action. By pressing on the #4 terminal, I can activate the input. Once activated, I could trigger the #10 key, and the input would work. Removing pressure from the screw returns the input to a failure mode. The tower functions correctly.

Conclusion.

>>> The terminal strip has suffered from a cold solder joint that has fractured, allowing for an intermittent connection.

@Im this guy,
As this is a manufacturing defect, I would like to have options to either replace the MPU or the entire unit. I am currently actively using the unit as is without the use of the #10 key, so an advanced replacement would be the most reasonable option. I see you are a staff member. Can you help me achieve this option?
Z

P.S.

To the software development team,

Observation:
Upon receiving the Azeron unit, I initially observed that all the keys, including the #10 key, functioned correctly. However, I encountered issues when macros were linked to keys, including this input. Specifically, my observation was that incorporating a macro into the keys led to the Azeron controller freezing, necessitating a computer reboot to restore functionality. To mitigate this, I temporarily ceased using macros, assuming that they were not compatible with the game I was playing, opting instead for the unit's onboard profiles, which did not present any problems.

Over time, after the #10 key malfunctioned, I cautiously reintegrated macros into my profiles and, fortunately, have not since faced the crashing issue. It appears that the underlying cause might be related to a potential failure in the input's solder joint, resulting in erratic signals that could freeze the controller and software, rendering them inoperable until a system restart.

I believe it would be beneficial for your team to investigate this issue further, with the aim of reproducing the problem and identifying a solution to prevent such freezes in the future, ensuring a smoother and more reliable user experience.

Last edited:

Im this guy

Staff member
Nov 5, 2021
<<<< I discovered the cause of my problem >>>>

Now, while I had a high drought, the problem was in the tower, I decided to test your theory to its fullest extent. So I removed the wire from the MPU #4 terminal strip isolating the tower, and then started by double-checking my initial results by shorting the MPU terminal #4 to the ground block.... and it worked!!!!! until I reconnected the wire to the terminal and then it stopped working... so I decided to hold down the #10 button and use my screwdriver to wiggle the #4 screw, and now the screwdriver can get the input to trigger without any other action. By pressing on the #4 terminal, I can activate the input. Once activated, I could trigger the #10 key, and the input would work. Removing pressure from the screw returns the input to a failure mode. The tower functions correctly.

Conclusion.

>>> The terminal strip has suffered from a cold solder joint that has fractured, allowing for an intermittent connection.

@Im this guy,
As this is a manufacturing defect, I would like to have options to either replace the MPU or the entire unit. I am currently actively using the unit as is without the use of the #10 key, so an advanced replacement would be the most reasonable option. I see you are a staff member. Can you help me achieve this option?
Z

P.S.

To the software development team,

Observation:
Upon receiving the Azeron unit, I initially observed that all the keys, including the #10 key, functioned correctly. However, I encountered issues when macros were linked to keys, including this input. Specifically, my observation was that incorporating a macro into the keys led to the Azeron controller freezing, necessitating a computer reboot to restore functionality. To mitigate this, I temporarily ceased using macros, assuming that they were not compatible with the game I was playing, opting instead for the unit's onboard profiles, which did not present any problems.

Over time, after the #10 key malfunctioned, I cautiously reintegrated macros into my profiles and, fortunately, have not since faced the crashing issue. It appears that the underlying cause might be related to a potential failure in the input's solder joint, resulting in erratic signals that could freeze the controller and software, rendering them inoperable until a system restart.

I believe it would be beneficial for your team to investigate this issue further, with the aim of reproducing the problem and identifying a solution to prevent such freezes in the future, ensuring a smoother and more reliable user experience.
Thank you for the response.
Email us on info@azeron.eu, include the order nr, pictures, if you made any and a link to forum thread.

The freezes were happening on the same profile and software / firmware versions?

zhomeslice

Verified member
Feb 19, 2024
Thank you for the response.
Email us on info@azeron.eu, include the order nr, pictures, if you made any and a link to forum thread.
I have sent the email. Thank you for your help.
The freezes were happening on the same profile and software / firmware versions?
The software and firmware versions stayed the same throughout the process, as far as I can tell. When I received the controller, I installed the software and checked for updates from the software and the firmware. Your software has a selection to auto-update, and I activated that. So there is a chance that I didn't see the change from the time I purchased the controller until now, but I didn't intentionally accept updates. I did completely uninstall and re-install the software several times, both to attempt to resolve the macro issue right after setting everything up and more recently with the missing key. This included deleting files in the \users\***\AppData\Roaming\azeron-software-v1 folder to completely remove all changes that the installation made. The locking issue would prevent the controller from interacting with the computer as a keyboard. so my game would be functioning and I could use the regular keyboard to control the game, but the Azeron was not responsive. I attempted unplugging and replunging the USB cable, as well as stopping the Azeron software. Nothing but restarting my computer would allow the Azeron controller to respond to inputs again. Resetting the profile to defaults and only setting key bindings worked I was skeptical of the software profiles at that time, so I set them into the controllers on board memory rather than using the software profiles. This worked flawlessly for months. (It was about 1 month from the time that I purchased the controller to my noticing the failure of the #10 key.) I desired to use macros, so in the last month I slowly started adding them, and using the software profiles, I obviously didn't add any macros to the failed key. As of now, this has not created any issues with the controller freezing. My only conclusion is that the scolder joint was causing a voltage to bounce into the input at a rate faster than the MPU interrupts could keep up, or maybe the interrupts were adequate, but the computer-side drivers and software were unable to process the arriving data fast enough, causing the freezing situation with the software-related profiles, especially when they had macros attached.
Z

Reactions: Im this guy

Im this guy

Staff member
Nov 5, 2021
I have sent the email. Thank you for your help.

The software and firmware versions stayed the same throughout the process, as far as I can tell. When I received the controller, I installed the software and checked for updates from the software and the firmware. Your software has a selection to auto-update, and I activated that. So there is a chance that I didn't see the change from the time I purchased the controller until now, but I didn't intentionally accept updates. I did completely uninstall and re-install the software several times, both to attempt to resolve the macro issue right after setting everything up and more recently with the missing key. This included deleting files in the \users\***\AppData\Roaming\azeron-software-v1 folder to completely remove all changes that the installation made. The locking issue would prevent the controller from interacting with the computer as a keyboard. so my game would be functioning and I could use the regular keyboard to control the game, but the Azeron was not responsive. I attempted unplugging and replunging the USB cable, as well as stopping the Azeron software. Nothing but restarting my computer would allow the Azeron controller to respond to inputs again. Resetting the profile to defaults and only setting key bindings worked I was skeptical of the software profiles at that time, so I set them into the controllers on board memory rather than using the software profiles. This worked flawlessly for months. (It was about 1 month from the time that I purchased the controller to my noticing the failure of the #10 key.) I desired to use macros, so in the last month I slowly started adding them, and using the software profiles, I obviously didn't add any macros to the failed key. As of now, this has not created any issues with the controller freezing. My only conclusion is that the scolder joint was causing a voltage to bounce into the input at a rate faster than the MPU interrupts could keep up, or maybe the interrupts were adequate, but the computer-side drivers and software were unable to process the arriving data fast enough, causing the freezing situation with the software-related profiles, especially when they had macros attached.
Z
Thank you for your input !

zhomeslice

Verified member
Feb 19, 2024
Thank you I've got the replacement board and it works great.
I want to provide you with a picture of the solder joints I discovered as I was swapping out the boards.
As you can see it's the fourth pin from ground, pin labeled 2 was the pin that was failing and it did not get soldered properly to the PC board. The other nearby pins look like they were shifted weird during the soldering process

I hope this helps with quality control.

Attachments

• CM240308-215306001.jpg
    CM240308-215306001.jpg
    770.2 KB · Views: 32

Im this guy

Staff member
Nov 5, 2021
Thank you I've got the replacement board and it works great.
I want to provide you with a picture of the solder joints I discovered as I was swapping out the boards.
As you can see it's the fourth pin from ground, pin labeled 2 was the pin that was failing and it did not get soldered properly to the PC board. The other nearby pins look like they were shifted weird during the soldering process

I hope this helps with quality control.
Thank you.
That`s much appreciated.