Deadzones for keyboard

Gobo

Adept
Jul 6, 2022
I love the Cyborg and has tested it with many different games now, and while keyboard mapping WASD to the analog stick works fantastically with games where you move around, it is less than optimal when trying to drive. I've noticed this in both Farming Simulator 22, Squad, Motor Town and a few other games where W and S control the speed while A and D determine steering, the problem mainly being that the overlap between two keys being pressed together is really low.
So I've tried to muck around with the settings and have a few questions.

azeron_deadzone_image.jpg

The Angle setting is obviously a personal preference, but I have some questions about the others.

The Lower Deadzone (green arrow) is fairly easy, it is simply so the stick doesn't press anything before you've moved it a little while from the centre.

The Upper Deadzone (red arrow) has me curious, though. What is it's intended use? A keypress is a binary action, either pressed or unpressed. Once the stick passes the Lower Deadzone the bound key is pressed, so what is the purpose of the Upper Deadzone? I've played around with it and not noticed any difference.

Sensitivity (purple arrow) should be rather obvious, but I've noticed absolutely difference detween lowest and highest setting. How does it work?

Reactions: NewboldOne

Im this guy

Staff member
Nov 5, 2021
Upper deadzone is responsible for the whole circle. If you set it lower, it will shrink the circle and moving the thumbstick will feel much sharper.
For games used in keyboard mode, you will want the upper deadzone pretty low, so slightest movement reacts to it.
For 360 you want upper deadzone pretty high, so the circle is bigger and moving the thumbstick will let you walk / run at a certain speed. If you set low upper deadzone with 360, you might not be able to walk and it will start running straight away as the slightest movement will be already at the edge of the circle.

Sensitivity creates a little deadzone around the position of where your dot is. So if you increase that, then you will require a bit more movement for the software to recognise you have moved the stick

Reactions: Gobo

Gobo

Adept
Jul 6, 2022
Thanks for your reply. ^_^
Do you know of an optimal setting for keyboard (WASD) that maximizes the overlap between two buttons, thus making it easier to walk diagonally?

ataru

Verified member
Nov 26, 2021
Roma
www.biancocelesti.org
ok, I think I did understand. yesterday i noticed while playing WMO that using 360 analog my mech was going full speed until i was full up with stick, and if i was turning a little, my mech was decreasing speed. Need to set an upper deadzone to have full speed while turning?

Im this guy

Staff member
Nov 5, 2021
Thanks for your reply. ^_^
Do you know of an optimal setting for keyboard (WASD) that maximizes the overlap between two buttons, thus making it easier to walk diagonally?
I forgot to add, the better solution for it would be binding acceleration and stopping on the buttons and using thumbstick only for steering

Im this guy

Staff member
Nov 5, 2021
ok, I think I did understand. yesterday i noticed while playing WMO that using 360 analog my mech was going full speed until i was full up with stick, and if i was turning a little, my mech was decreasing speed. Need to set an upper deadzone to have full speed while turning?
try lowering the upper deadzone a little