Azeron(s) being misrecognized by Windows 10

user

Nov 14, 2022
I have an Azeron classic compact as well as a Cyborg compact. This issue is currently exhibited identically by both, and the Azerons are running different firmware revisions.

The initial, user-visible issue is that the Azeron mappings to joystick buttons are not recognized by Windows 10. The following screencaps show the "Game Controllers" control panel on the affected Win10 machine, compared to the same Azeron plugged into a different Win10 machine a few seconds later.

Affected machine, showing "Azeron Keypad - DirectInput" and only 10 joystick buttons, none of which respond to the associated Joy1, etc, buttons being pressed on the Azeron:
azeron-directinput.png

This is the same Azeron keypad plugged into a different Win10 machine, showing the expected 32 buttons and for which the control panel responds to mapped keypress input, with the buttons changing color in the control panel (nb. this is how the control panel appeared on the affected machine when things were working). I notice this one says "Azeron Keypad - XInput":
azeron-xinput.PNG

Of note, the Azeron keys that are mapped to keystrokes *are* recognized by Windows on the affected machine. However, most of the buttons for my use are joystick buttons and do not currently function on the affected machine.

This was initially noticed on the compact classic several months ago and was rectified by plugging it into a different USB port. However, that does not resolve the issue presently. The issue persists over multiple reboots and is not affected by plugging the Azeron into different ports, and is the same for both Azerons.

This malfunction is problematic on this machine, given I do not have administrator rights to uninstall/reinstall drivers.

Im this guy

Staff member
Nov 5, 2021

user

Nov 14, 2022
Thanks. Are you suggesting I downgrade my Cyborg from its current firmware revision of v78 to v73? Are there other problems with the current version?

Also, do you have any idea why both Azerons, different models on different firmware versions, exhibit the same issue on this one machine and work fine on another? It seems to me that the Azerons are being detected (or redetected) improperly by Windows under some circumstances. When this "breaks" the device hasn't been unplugged or reprogrammed. It may be associated with a reboot, but I can't say for certain (and rebooting certainly doesn't fix it).

I couldn't find any way to force Windows to change the Azerons to be XInput controller type rather than DirectInput.

Last edited:

Im this guy

Staff member
Nov 5, 2021
Firmware re-flash might on the machine that doesn't recognise the input, might show it up.
Go in the device manager and see on whether all the drivers are up to date.

user

Nov 14, 2022
Thanks. Do you know how to force the Azerons to be recognized by Windows as XInput rather than DirectInput? The Azerons being recognized as DirectInput seems to happen when they don't work.

I can downgrade the Cyborg firmware to v73 llke you suggested. Can you tell me what is the highest version of the Cyborg firmware that doesn't have these problems?

cyborg_firmware.PNG

Also, both Windows 10 machines have the same driver version (below), even though both Azerons work fine on one machine (as XInput) and both work incorrectly (as DirectInput) on the other. Can you tell me which version of the drivers are necessary for an Azeron to work correctly? Or perhaps do you mean that I need special third party drivers for my Azerons to work properly? If so, which third party drivers should I obtain?

azeronxbox.png

Im this guy

Staff member
Nov 5, 2021
Thanks. Do you know how to force the Azerons to be recognized by Windows as XInput rather than DirectInput? The Azerons being recognized as DirectInput seems to happen when they don't work.

I can downgrade the Cyborg firmware to v73 llke you suggested. Can you tell me what is the highest version of the Cyborg firmware that doesn't have these problems?

View attachment 3061

Also, both Windows 10 machines have the same driver version (below), even though both Azerons work fine on one machine (as XInput) and both work incorrectly (as DirectInput) on the other. Can you tell me which version of the drivers are necessary for an Azeron to work correctly? Or perhaps do you mean that I need special third party drivers for my Azerons to work properly? If so, which third party drivers should I obtain?

View attachment 3060
Not sure anymore to be honest. Got a similar case and tried that.
See if it picks it up on https://gamepad-tester.com/, use chrome to test.

user

Nov 14, 2022
Is there any way to force the Azerons to be recognized by Windows as XInput rather than DirectInput?

Right now the Cyborg appears to corrupt the ability for Windows 10 to recognize either the cyborg or the classic correctly.

I had an administrator go into Device Manager and remove the all the XBox Controller drivers for the Azerons on the affected win10 machine. When I plugged in the classic in again it shows as DirectInput but appears to work fine in the Windows game controller control panel, showing all 32 joystick buttons and they light up in the control panel as they are pressed. The classic is on old firmware and hasn't been touched/reflashed/reprogrammed in months. That is to say, it just started working again, like it had for months before everything broke for both the cyborg and the classic.

The cyborg, when plugged in, only shows 10 joystick buttons just like before (as in the OP), and none of them respond in the control panel tester. I then downloaded Azeron 1.2.0 software and let it flash the cyborg to firmware 79b on another machine. This did not resolve the issue.

Plugging in the cyborg into other USB ports on the computer eventually caused the classic to start only displaying 10 joystick buttons in the control panel as well.

Both the classic and cyborg show up as "DirectInput" on this Win10 machine (as in OP) whereas both continue to work fine on another Win10 machine where they are listed as "XInput".

Last edited: