Alternate ordering

TWisTeD

May 10, 2022
I've just placed my order for a Cyborg Compact and I am eagerly looking forward to receiving it. I did have a thought about an alternate way of ordering that might be something to consider for the future.
Given that some people have access to their own 3D printers, and modding/self-repair seems to be tolerated, has a "kit" option been considered? If the customer is happy to buy just the non-printed parts (controller with locked firmware, switches, thumbstick, baseplate, etc.) along with the files to print the missing parts (body, riser, towers, etc.) and the instructions for assembly at a reduced rate (no need for Azeron to print parts or assemble) that might offer a cheaper option (at the cost of more work for the customer) and increase the throughput of full units (because some are skipping assembly) reducing the lead time for other customers.

Reactions: Kplan and Gumby

Kplan

Oct 4, 2022
I've just seen the ad, noticed that it was 3D printed and kind of assumed that I could order just the non-printed parts and use my own 3D printer and colors/materials. When I saw that this option wasn't available I wanted to suggest it but now that I see it was already brought up I just want to add that there are a few companies like homebrewheadphones and edelkrone successfully employing this strategy for their products already so I am guessing it can be a viable business option to look into. I am very intrigued by the keypads and hope that I can build my own from a parts kit some day soon.