Software for Linux

riccochet

Verified member
May 14, 2022
I know this is brought up from time to time, last time was in February in fact, but I just want to put in my +1 for linux support. I have been using Azeron products for several years now and its become essential to my PC gaming. This software is one of the few things keeping me in Windoze land, and I think it would be amazing to be able to support the cyborg natively in Ubuntu/Mint/Steam OS.
But otherwise, I think you guys are crushing it. ;)

st0ni

Jan 8, 2024
Yeah, plus one from me as well. My son is getting to an age now where it's time to put down the Nintendo and start playing PC. So I'm looking at getting one of these so I can give him my trusty ol' nostromo. Only issue is with the joystick I'll almost certainly need software. The nostromo was easy 'cause it only has a Dpad but this is clearly a different beast. I tried putting windows on my gaming computer but it's unbearable with its weird bing search bars in the start menu and it won't recognize my TV and why do i need to know the current weather because my house has windows and and and and... and it just generally makes me sad. I can't go back, I'd rather teach metric to Americans or volunteer cleaning streets in rich neighborhoods or something.

Honestly though if it runs in wine I'm fine, I don't see an entry on wine db however. Anyone given it a go?
I don't think input mapper does joysticks yeah?

Rikard

Mar 26, 2024
I know this is brought up from time to time, last time was in February in fact, but I just want to put in my +1 for linux support. I have been using Azeron products for several years now and its become essential to my PC gaming. This software is one of the few things keeping me in Windoze land, and I think it would be amazing to be able to support the cyborg natively in Ubuntu/Mint/Steam OS.
But otherwise, I think you guys are crushing it. ;)
I am an avid Linux user and I keep putting off buying the Cyborg because it doesn't have Linux support yet. I don't want to go thru any hassle trying to get it to work on Linux after spending over $300 CAD for it.

Reactions: luc

pastrami

Verified member
Jun 4, 2024
Registered just to give +1 to linux support. Especially with the recent rise in steam proton - I game between my steam deck and bazzite.

Also willing to work on the solution if one needs to be made for linux.

Though - wondering if a lutris/proton compatibility will be enough. I'll have to test, though I don't have any Azeron hardware to confirm 100%.

Reactions: Im this guy

pastrami

Verified member
Jun 4, 2024
Update - Azeron Software appears to launch with GE-Proton9-5 + Steam compatibility.
Again though, I have no hardware to confirm this does work as expected.

Steps -
1. Download/Install ProtonUp-Qt
2. Launch ProtonUp-Qt, select Add Version ->Version Dropdown -> GE-Proton9-5 -> Install
3. Download Azeron Software
4. Make a folder in ~/Games/Azeron (not required, but easier to know where it's installed)
5. Open Steam -> Add a Game -> Add a Non-Steam Game -> Browse -> Select your setup.exe
6. Right Click azeron-setup.exe in Steam game list -> Compatibility -> Force the use of a specific Steam Play Compatibility Tool (I don't think the version matters here
7. Start azeron-setup.exe
8. I Agree -> Browse -> Select the ~/Games/Azeron folder you created earlier (step 4) -> Install -> Uncheck Run Azeron Software -> Finish
9. Open Steam -> Add a Game -> Add a Non-Steam Game -> Browse -> Navigate to your Azeron folder at ~/Games/Azeron/Azeron Software -> Azeron Software.exe
10. Right Click Azeron Software.exe in Steam game list -> Compatiliby -> Force the use of a specific Steam Play Compatibility Tool -> GE-Proton9-5

Now, Azeron should run as expected.

PS - I'm poor and willing to accept a discount code for a Compact for the research, to test further ;)

The_Thingy

Dec 9, 2021
Update - Azeron Software appears to launch with GE-Proton9-5 + Steam compatibility.
Again though, I have no hardware to confirm this does work as expected.

Steps -
1. Download/Install ProtonUp-Qt
2. Launch ProtonUp-Qt, select Add Version ->Version Dropdown -> GE-Proton9-5 -> Install
3. Download Azeron Software
4. Make a folder in ~/Games/Azeron (not required, but easier to know where it's installed)
5. Open Steam -> Add a Game -> Add a Non-Steam Game -> Browse -> Select your setup.exe
6. Right Click azeron-setup.exe in Steam game list -> Compatibility -> Force the use of a specific Steam Play Compatibility Tool (I don't think the version matters here
7. Start azeron-setup.exe
8. I Agree -> Browse -> Select the ~/Games/Azeron folder you created earlier (step 4) -> Install -> Uncheck Run Azeron Software -> Finish
9. Open Steam -> Add a Game -> Add a Non-Steam Game -> Browse -> Navigate to your Azeron folder at ~/Games/Azeron/Azeron Software -> Azeron Software.exe
10. Right Click Azeron Software.exe in Steam game list -> Compatiliby -> Force the use of a specific Steam Play Compatibility Tool -> GE-Proton9-5

Now, Azeron should run as expected.

PS - I'm poor and willing to accept a discount code for a Compact for the research, to test further ;)
Run - Yes ✅
Work - No ❌

Result is similar than 4-5 years ago, when i switched to linux myself. I was able to run software trough wine/proton, but it didn't found device so i looked another options.

1. use another pc which have windows installed - you can edit your hw-profiles and update firmware
2. use windows virtual-machine with usb-passtrough - you can edit hw-profiles ()
3. use azeron-cli - you can edit hw-profiles within cli

Those are current options to make chances to your Azeron while using *nix/mac as main-os. But if you want to make separate profile to all your games those are going to be bit hard so using something like antimicrox with some of three options is recommendable.

To get rid of multiple layers of software you need to use for fully enjoy your device best bet is that Azeron hires someone who understands (or is ready to learn) how *nix/mac handles usb-ports. (Or wait for community devs have time to spend on projects like azeron-cli).

While foreground of current software is build by electron it can run everywhere where you can run chromium/chrome (yeah even on your phone). Problem is background that does all the work ('speaks' with your device), it currently works only through drivers delivered within software and which 'surprise' only works with windows.

So the problem looks to be that dev-team lacks people who knows other os than widows exists or company doesn't want offer software to other than windows. If reason is first it is resolved when someone with skills needed is hired, if second possible reason in on effect then only way is to wait for people have enough free time to develop open variant of software which could take years (and could break anytime when new fw is pushed to device).

Reactions: MogVII