Some way to make the keys harder to trigger accidentally

Roon

Verified member
Nov 8, 2021
I will start with my problem. My hands shake and with the key layout, I have no place to rest my fingers to stop the shaking without losing keys. I can type and game on a keyboard only because I can lightly rest my fingers on the keys. Even low-profile keys because of the resistance. Azeron keypads have near zero resistance so I just trigger the key every time my finger twitches at all.

I wanted to see if anyone has any ideas on how to make it harder to trigger the keys, like rubber rings or sturdy springs on a keyboard. Currently, I disable more than half of the keys, so I have space to rest my fingers, but that means I can't rest my finger on say the jump key because I would bounce around as I accidentally trigger the key over and over again. I know I can use the adjustment screws to fake it, but the difference between too loose and the key not springing back is around 1/8 turn.

twiget

Verified member
Apr 4, 2022
I would suggest putting a thin slice of rubber behind each paddle. Or maybe stack a couple pieces of paper behind the paddles.

I wouldn't recommend over tightening the screws as they are just going into ABS plastic. After awhile, the threads could be easily stripped out.

Buckerz

Sep 6, 2022
I would suggest putting a thin slice of rubber behind each paddle. Or maybe stack a couple pieces of paper behind the paddles.

I wouldn't recommend over tightening the screws as they are just going into ABS plastic. After awhile, the threads could be easily stripped out.
i agree, foam padding might work as well. Maybe use 2 sided tape to hold it in place?

Reactions: TWisTeD

Roon

Verified member
Nov 8, 2021
I was trying some foam, EVA foam, but they are hair triggers so it is rough going and they will eventually break down. I figured if I asked for ideas blind like this anyway, someone may improve on that idea.

AZGUNS

Adept
Apr 22, 2022
I will start with my problem. My hands shake and with the key layout, I have no place to rest my fingers to stop the shaking without losing keys. I can type and game on a keyboard only because I can lightly rest my fingers on the keys. Even low-profile keys because of the resistance. Azeron keypads have near zero resistance so I just trigger the key every time my finger twitches at all.

I wanted to see if anyone has any ideas on how to make it harder to trigger the keys, like rubber rings or sturdy springs on a keyboard. Currently, I disable more than half of the keys, so I have space to rest my fingers, but that means I can't rest my finger on say the jump key because I would bounce around as I accidentally trigger the key over and over again. I know I can use the adjustment screws to fake it, but the difference between too loose and the key not springing back is around 1/8 turn.
I think you can do this with REwasd I will jump in the discord and ask to make sure and get back to you

twiget

Verified member
Apr 4, 2022
I think you can do this with REwasd I will jump in the discord and ask to make sure and get back to you

You can set reWASD to trigger the button press when releasing the key. Normally, it triggers when pressing. I think you can set this when you map the key in the software.

Roon

Verified member
Nov 8, 2021
You can set reWASD to trigger the button press when releasing the key. Normally, it triggers when pressing. I think you can set this when you map the key in the software.
When I click it releases immediately anyway so it won't help with a finger twitch. I need to make it so I can't press it far enough to trigger it accidentally.

Reactions: twiget

twiget

Verified member
Apr 4, 2022
This is an interesting problem (my favorite kind). I've got some thoughts rattling around in my head but it might take me awhile to make them happen. I'll update this thread if I come up with anything. 👍

Roon

Verified member
Nov 8, 2021
Imagine someone who has Parkinson's disease. While it isn't what I have, I have good and bad days, it is close enough. Thanks all for the ideas.

I also primarily use a Mac, so software solutions, like activation delay, may not work great anyway.

twiget

Verified member
Apr 4, 2022
OK, here's what I came up with. It's pretty much the standard Cyborg key, but I added a little leaf spring on the bottom. The design still needs some fine tuning but unfortunately I'm not at home, so further development will have to wait. The spring is only 0.4mm thick, and I'm not sure if the arc of the spring is high enough to provide enough resistance. And there's no guarantee on how long this design would last during normal operation.

1663386188568.png

If @Roon or anyone else would like a copy of the Fusion/.3mf files, let me know as I'm not going to post this on Printables.com until I get the kinks worked out, and that will be awhile.

Roon

Verified member
Nov 8, 2021
While that spring is way too small, that is exactly what I would like. Maybe instead of making the spring too big, there can be an adjustment screw on the tower to adjust pressure.something that can be finger tightened
JPEG image-18ED786B00FB-1.jpeg

like this but smaller.

twiget

Verified member
Apr 4, 2022
I'm glad we're thinking along the same lines. I figured the spring would be too small, but it gives you the idea of what my initial design thoughts are. I did consider a thumb screw setup like you mentioned (and I've got an idea on how to do it floating around in my cranium), but I'd have to take apart my Cyborg in order to get accurate measurements. That's not going to happen any time soon because if (when) I break something, I don't have a printer to create replacement parts. When I get home, I'll take another shot at this.

Roon

Verified member
Nov 8, 2021
The spring would have to fill in almost 2/3 of the gap since the activation travel is only slightly over 1/3'd of the gap between the key and the tower. That would be a huge spring, the more to fail, like you mentioned. Depending on what it was made of, obviously.

The only key that it wouldn't work on is the one I never like to use, the one opposite the analog stick. There is no tower to press against. I wouldn't need it but others might if this somehow becomes a thing more people would want. I just never it found comfortable to move my thumb to hit the switch while using the analog stick.