Slim joystick mod

peanutman

Apr 10, 2022
Hi,

I love my Azeron, but I really felt like the joystick is very uncomfortable. I tried every possible configuration, but I came to the conclusion that the joystick is simply too long. It forces a large angle between the thumb and index finger, and this stretch is very unnatural to me. Even if you put the index finger rail and thumb rail as close as possible, the angle is still too large for me.

I an attempt to make this more comfortable, I have replaced the joystick with a much "flatter" module. In this case I used a PSP 2000 joystick module:
1654153347269.png

The joystick is also 5V, based on 2 x 10K potentiometers, so it can be wired directly to the Azeron joystick PCB.

1654153432499.png

Result:

1654153465566.png

1654153495970.png

For me, the result is much much more comfortable. After calibration the PSP joystick works, and it feels great. However, it has some downsides too:
  • No joystick click button (Z-axis).
  • In the PSP joystick the X axis is reversed because the potentiometer is inverted. Since the firmware is not open source I can't fix this in software, and I simply mapped right to left and left to right, since I only need it for simulating keyboard presses anyway. It would also work fine in analog joystick mode in games that allow you to invert the axis in-game.
  • The "feel" is different, the joystick knob "slides" around instead of moving in an arc.
  • The joystick cap is a bit slippery, I plan to replace it with one of the spare Azeron joystick caps.

This is only the first experiment, I also plan to try with a module like this:
1654153806913.png

I might have to order a new joystick module PCB from Azeron first though, I don't want to undo my current work. Once I find my ideal setup I will try to design a 3d printed "cover" to make the joystick module pretty again.

Last edited:

peanutman

Apr 10, 2022
A small update. As mentioned in the last post I also tried another module which has a similar pinout to the original joystick module:

1654715087313.png

It's now a much cleaner mod, and everything still works fine. I glued on one of the original azeron joystick caps, and butchered the plastic joystick case to make it slimmer too. Now it looks like this:

1654715210043.png

vkpanic

Jul 26, 2022
Hey if you don't mind,, i am trying to fix some wires that came undone while doing some mods but i don't know what order they go in. its the bottom side or far left in your pictures. from the camera back i see its black then purple. the diagram shows a different color order and has no black. if you can post a more clear pick or just the order of yours i think that will really help me out.

thanks!

lZl

Verified member
Aug 19, 2022
I might do this mod myself, all I play is COD on PC, and movement has been my biggest complaint when using the stock azeron joystick. This also eliminates my second complain about my azeron which is no anti friction ring.

Im this guy

Staff member
Nov 5, 2021
I might do this mod myself, all I play is COD on PC, and movement has been my biggest complaint when using the stock azeron joystick. This also eliminates my second complain about my azeron which is no anti friction ring.
Do you use restrictor ring for COD?

BlackZero500

Aug 14, 2023
Hi, i love this mod. Im contemplating doing this myself too. Can you give me a link to the Joystick you used? Also would a Nintendo Switch Joystick work? Its way slimmer than the originally used one but still has the Arc of a Joystick.