Cyborg Xinput Problem and Classic Firmware Update Failure

Boogyman

Verified member
May 5, 2023
I have two problems to solve here, and one request.

The first issue is that I have a new Azeron Cyborg and the xInput bindings I have defined (buttons and stick) are all being ignored by Sea of Thieves (Microsoft Store version, not Steam). joy.cpl show the xInputs are recognized by Windows, and at least one Steam game recognizes it, so I'm thinking this issue is something like drivers or device priority. I have played SoT for years with my Azeron Classic, so I know the game will accept the mixed xInput and kb/n input, so this should not be compatibility / game support issue.

The second issue is with my Azeron Classic. I upgraded to the cyborg because the thumbstick wore out on the classic. I tried switching back to the classic to test whether that still worked with SoT but the Azeron software said I needed to upgrade the firmware. When, at the direction of the software, I pushed the reset button on the Classic, the software reported failure to update. The LEDs no longer light and Windows no longer recognizes the device in Device Manager.

To summarize:

Problem 1: Please help me get SoT accepting xInput from the Cyborg as it used to do with the Classic

Problem 2: Please help me get the Classic working again after the failed firmware update

Request: Assuming problem 2 can be resolved, would it be possible to obtain a replacement for the Classic's thumbstick module? I do not see the part listed in the store, but i did find a video on the Azeron youtube channel detailing how to replace it. If problem 2 can be resolved and the replacement module is still available, I would like to purchase one so I can keep the Classic as a spare.

Last edited:

Boogyman

Verified member
May 5, 2023
Thanks Im This Guy for that. I was able to restore functionality to the Classic with the guide you linked. I also retested with Sea of Thieves. The game continues to accept xInput (keys and stick) from the Classic, and continues to ignore it (keys and stick) from the Cyborg.

I tested the Cyborg on https://gamepad-tester.com/ as you requested. The xInputs come up as P1 "Xbox Controller - Xbox 360 Controller (XInput STANDARD GAMEPAD)", and responds to the xInput bindings and stick. There is a second Azeron entry in P4 that does not respond to any of my current bindings: "Azeron Keypad - DirectInput (Vendor: 16d0 Product: 113c)", with my two Thrustmaster T16000Ms in between.

Im this guy

Staff member
Nov 5, 2021
Thanks Im This Guy for that. I was able to restore functionality to the Classic with the guide you linked. I also retested with Sea of Thieves. The game continues to accept xInput (keys and stick) from the Classic, and continues to ignore it (keys and stick) from the Cyborg.

I tested the Cyborg on https://gamepad-tester.com/ as you requested. The xInputs come up as P1 "Xbox Controller - Xbox 360 Controller (XInput STANDARD GAMEPAD)", and responds to the xInput bindings and stick. There is a second Azeron entry in P4 that does not respond to any of my current bindings: "Azeron Keypad - DirectInput (Vendor: 16d0 Product: 113c)", with my two Thrustmaster T16000Ms in between.
Try launching the game without the keypad connected and then connect it. If no luck, whilst in-game switch the thumbstick to keyboard mode and then back to xbox360
Do both keypads show up in joy.cpl the same way ?
Did you try testing both, software and onboard profiles in-game ?
Please attach the log file with the Cyborg connected, might see something wrong in there.

Boogyman

Verified member
May 5, 2023
1) Try launching the game without the keypad connected and then connect it. If no luck, whilst in-game switch the thumbstick to keyboard mode and then back to xbox360

When I do this, SoT still does not respond to xInput (keys or stick) from the cyborg. hot-switching to keybard mode gets stick response while in keyboard mode, but remains unresponsive when switched back to xInput mode.

1) Do both keypads show up in joy.cpl the same way ?

They are not quite the same. In both cases there are two entries "Azeron Keypad - DirectInput", but the ordering and properties are different.

For the cyborg, they are in positions 1 and 4, with xInputs in position 1.

For the classic, they are in positions 3 and 4. The entry in position 3 looks much like the non-xInput entry for the cyborg. However, when selecting "Properties" for the entry in position 4, it does not resemble the xInput entry for the cyborg. The title bar of the properties window says "Azeron Keypad - C0nf1gur4t0r properties" and the "test" tab displays no graphical representation of the inputs it might be testing for.

3) Did you try testing both, software and onboard profiles in-game ?

I have now tested this. The results are the same in either case.

4) Please attach the log file with the Cyborg connected, might see something wrong in there.

Attached :)

Attachments

• azeron-logs-20230509-05-47-55.log
    273 KB · Views: 63

Im this guy

Staff member
Nov 5, 2021
1) Try launching the game without the keypad connected and then connect it. If no luck, whilst in-game switch the thumbstick to keyboard mode and then back to xbox360

When I do this, SoT still does not respond to xInput (keys or stick) from the cyborg. hot-switching to keybard mode gets stick response while in keyboard mode, but remains unresponsive when switched back to xInput mode.

1) Do both keypads show up in joy.cpl the same way ?

They are not quite the same. In both cases there are two entries "Azeron Keypad - DirectInput", but the ordering and properties are different.

For the cyborg, they are in positions 1 and 4, with xInputs in position 1.

For the classic, they are in positions 3 and 4. The entry in position 3 looks much like the non-xInput entry for the cyborg. However, when selecting "Properties" for the entry in position 4, it does not resemble the xInput entry for the cyborg. The title bar of the properties window says "Azeron Keypad - C0nf1gur4t0r properties" and the "test" tab displays no graphical representation of the inputs it might be testing for.

3) Did you try testing both, software and onboard profiles in-game ?

I have now tested this. The results are the same in either case.

4) Please attach the log file with the Cyborg connected, might see something wrong in there.

Attached :)
Thank you.
We are currently looking into this and will try to recreate the issue.

Boogyman

Verified member
May 5, 2023
FWIW, I ran all outstanding windows updates earlier, so there should no longer be any potential issue of out of date OS / xbox drivers. SoT still ignores the cyborg xInputs.

Im this guy

Staff member
Nov 5, 2021
FWIW, I ran all outstanding windows updates earlier, so there should no longer be any potential issue of out of date OS / xbox drivers. SoT still ignores the cyborg xInputs.
You can try launching it through the steam.

The v1.2.5 software is coming soon, so hope the issue will be sorted on that.

Boogyman

Verified member
May 5, 2023
I did think of this work-around. If the Azeron software update does not resolve the issue, I will look into purchasing the Steam version of SoT the next time it goes on sale.

My main concern with that is if the workaround is effective, then the issue is probably platform-scope rather than game-scope, meaning that other titles from the windows / xbox store would be affected the same way. I currently can not test that since SoT is the only windows / xbox store game I own.

Boogyman

Verified member
May 5, 2023
I downloaded the v1.2.5 software today. It wants to update the Cyborg's firmware, but fails every time. I have tried resetting the device from the software settings, which cleared out the onboard profiles. I also rebooted the PC and tried again, but no luck. I also tried several different USB ports.

Im this guy

Staff member
Nov 5, 2021
I downloaded the v1.2.5 software today. It wants to update the Cyborg's firmware, but fails every time. I have tried resetting the device from the software settings, which cleared out the onboard profiles. I also rebooted the PC and tried again, but no luck. I also tried several different USB ports.

Attachments

• Azeron_Failed_to_Update.pdf
    286.7 KB · Views: 87

Boogyman

Verified member
May 5, 2023
It Works! With that, I was able to get the firmware updated, and the Cyborg's xInputs now work with SoT. The Classic's firmware was also successfully updated and it continues to work with SoT.

Thank you so much. I want you to know this has been the best tech support experience I have ever had. Not just because the issues were resolved, but because the instruction were so clear and concise. Much appreciated.

I will send the previously discussed email to request a replacement joystick module for the Classic in a couple weeks. I have a vacation coming up and I want to wait to ensure it does not arrive while I am away. Thanks again.

Reactions: Im this guy

Im this guy

Staff member
Nov 5, 2021
It Works! With that, I was able to get the firmware updated, and the Cyborg's xInputs now work with SoT. The Classic's firmware was also successfully updated and it continues to work with SoT.

Thank you so much. I want you to know this has been the best tech support experience I have ever had. Not just because the issues were resolved, but because the instruction were so clear and concise. Much appreciated.

I will send the previously discussed email to request a replacement joystick module for the Classic in a couple weeks. I have a vacation coming up and I want to wait to ensure it does not arrive while I am away. Thanks again.
Happy days !