Custom controller organization

tsmspace

Oct 20, 2022
my objective is to have a custom controls setup with a ton of inputs, and azeron controllers are really in the right vein . my prototype is a handheld gamepad, but the entire configuration could easily be laid out onto an azeron keypad duo that sits on the table,, with all of the controls organized to a flat hand instead of around a gamepad. Actually, this would be very desirable to have both options.

Ok so i can build my own controllers using arduino, but they are fairly rough and do have some other downsides as for stability over time and the unfortunate driver issues that arduinos can sometimes face.

I have really decided on one particular configuration but it is limited and i have some ideas on where i want to take it next. The original project can be viewed at tsmspace.com.

The next problem i would like to address is how a self-centering throttle can be undesirable for flight simulators. In most space games, a self-centering throttle is preferred, but with quadcopter fpv or airplanes, it is less desireable, and i am already to the point where having all types of control available for a single game is in my imagination. (So, a space game that lets you go to atmospheres and launch drones, for example).

My intended solution is something i can draw a picfure for later, and plan to prototype eventually, but hopefully this description is adequate for the moment. The controller would look superficially similar to a nintendo64 gamepad, with three handles. On the center and right handle, would be my 4 joystick config as seen on tsmspace.com, and on the far left handle, the thumbstick would be that same as those found on quadcopter controls/tx, with a self centering x axis and a non-centering y axis. This way i would be able to hold the left handle for fpv simulators, normal flight simulators, and parts of space simulators where a set and forget throttle is desired, but the center handle would still enable easy capable 6dof.

I would want a lot of buttons for camera switching, as well as normal game functions,, so i feel that on the 4 joystick section i may need 6 per thumb and 2 triggers each bottom (ring and middle finger triggers), however for the far left i would probably need fewer controls,, perhaps just 2 more triggers and the thumb buttons for the middle would be accessible. So,, total inputs would be 5 joysticks and 18 buttons, however all 4 self centering sticks would have thumbstick press meaning 22 buttons.
------------------------
YouTube

Attachments

• 20221022_115813.jpg
    20221022_115813.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 114
  • 20221022_171119.jpg
    20221022_171119.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 112
  • 20221022_171114.jpg
    20221022_171114.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 113