Twiget's Cyborg Mods

twiget

Verified member
Apr 4, 2022
I've been running a Logitech G13 for the last 15 years or so. So long that Logitech doesn't even support it, and I have to use the legacy Logitech Gaming Software to even use it. I've tried many other gaming keypads, and they always got returned as they weren't as good as the G13. Until the Cyborg showed up at my door earlier this week that is. I'll be honest, half the reason I bought a Cyborg is because I've got several 3D printers and I'm all for supporting businesses that use the tech. I am pleasantly surprised at how good the print and build quality of my Cyborg is though.

The first mod for my Cyborg is some extended knuckle paddles for the top switches. I don't like how I have to completely pull my finger out of the pocket in order to actuate these switches, so I decided to make my own paddles. I tried to copy the basic shape of the stock paddles, but I raised them ~11mm (that's around 7/16" for my fellow Americans 🇺🇲). I thought that would be the hard part, but it was pretty easy. The hard part was getting the outer diameter of the through hole correct. Too big and the paddle jams up, too small and there's not enough material and it could break too easily. Hopefully I found a happy medium that will work.

Extended Knuckle Paddle.jpg

I printed these out of PLA as a proof of concept. If they hold up well, I may redo them in ABS or ASA.
20220408_183111.jpg

Time to get in game and kill some bad guys.

Last edited:

Tovrin

Apr 14, 2022
Any chance you could share the STL? I'd love to print these in resin to see how they go.

Gobo

Adept
Jul 6, 2022
I got my Cyborg today and decided I'd give these a go and fired up my resin printer. I used white water-washable resin, and I decided to make one set of each size to compare them. As with you, I ended up liking the slimmer one (8mm) best.

AzC_ExtKnuckles01.jpg

A small warning to others wanting to print in resin, though... The holes in the slimmer set are too tight for the screws (the larger ones are just fine). I had to use a 2.4mm drillbit to carefully widen the hole, which was a bit annoying. Had I known this beforehand I would have widened the holes BEFORE curing the resin, thus saving myself some effort. Just a friendly heads-up. ;)

I've only bothered to try two of the keys so far and they both worked perfectly, and hitting them with the top of my knuckles was WAY easier than hitting them with my nails.
The keys look chunkier than the original keys (well DUH!), but not enough to detract from the aestetics of the Cyborg. I plan on spraypainting them the same color as the original keys, five them a coat or two of matte varnish and then transfer my griptape over to them. Once finished I'll attach them all. :)

AzC_ExtKnuckles02.jpg

AzC_ExtKnuckles03.jpg

Gobo

Adept
Jul 6, 2022
I did exactly as planned and painted them yellow. I found that the "Moon Yellow" from my Vallejo acrylic paint set was close enough to the yellow prints, so I brushed on a few layers, then gave them a coat of matte varnish. I peeled off the grip tape on the original keys and transfered them to my resin keys, and once on they blend in perfectly. ^_^
And, they are much more accessible. Thanks for both making and sharing these, Twiget. ^_^

AzC_ExtKnuckles04.jpg
AzC_ExtKnuckles05.jpg
AzC_ExtKnuckles06.jpg

SteveCrookJr

Jul 23, 2022
I am another long-time G13 user and my latest just died. Instead of getting another of eBay, I ordered a Cyborg. I can't 3D print (yet, maybe soon). Were you planning on offering these as a product?

If another G13 oldster likes the Cyborg, I'm glad I chose it. Be well!

LauraFranke

Aug 5, 2022
I'd like to try this. I don't have a 3D printer though so I'll probably have to pay for a service to print it and ship it to me. I don't have tools like drill bits so I don't know if I'd be able to alter it like @Gobo did though. Plus if I messed them up I'd have to pay to have them printed and shipped again. Is there a way to alter the 3d file to fix the problem? @twiget, did you not encounter that problem when you tried them?

Reactions: TWisTeD and twiget

twiget

Verified member
Apr 4, 2022
I did exactly as planned and painted them yellow. I found that the "Moon Yellow" from my Vallejo acrylic paint set was close enough to the yellow prints, so I brushed on a few layers, then gave them a coat of matte varnish. I peeled off the grip tape on the original keys and transfered them to my resin keys, and once on they blend in perfectly. ^_^
And, they are much more accessible. Thanks for both making and sharing these, Twiget. ^_^

View attachment 1525View attachment 1526View attachment 1527

@Gobo I'm glad to hear they print well with a resin printer and they look great. How do you like the grip tape? Until recently I've never used it, but I've got some on my mouse and it's ok. Haven't gotten around to putting any on my Cyborg. I'm not surprised to hear that you had to fine tune the screw holes, they are finicky to get right.

I am another long-time G13 user and my latest just died. Instead of getting another of eBay, I ordered a Cyborg. I can't 3D print (yet, maybe soon). Were you planning on offering these as a product?

I so wish Logitech would do a new G13, with mechanical keys, that would be awesome. My G13 is still running strong and now that I've got my Cyborg, maybe it's a moot point.

I'd like to try this. I don't have a 3D printer though so I'll probably have to pay for a service to print it and ship it to me. I don't have tools like drill bits so I don't know if I'd be able to alter it like @Gobo did though. Plus if I messed them up I'd have to pay to have them printed and shipped again. Is there a way to alter the 3d file to fix the problem? @twiget, did you not encounter that problem when you tried them?

I have no plans on offering these up for sale. I travel a lot for work and I don't have the time to print and sell them.

Gobo

Adept
Jul 6, 2022
"@Gobo I'm glad to hear they print well with a resin printer and they look great. How do you like the grip tape? Until recently I've never used it, but I've got some on my mouse and it's ok. Haven't gotten around to putting any on my Cyborg."

I love it. I've used the Azeron Compact without griptape and I occationally have to realign my hand to the handrest as I slightly slide around. On the Cyborg I got the grip for both the palmrest and the buttons, and I love them. Once I place my hand on it, I stay put with no movement or slippage at all. And I love the textured feel on the buttons.
Do they improve my gameplay? Nah, not really. But they make the ketpad feel even more like a luxury item, and to me that $12 (6 for palm and 6 for buttons) was worth it. If you only can afford one, go with the palm griptape.

LauraFranke

Aug 5, 2022
I have no plans on offering these up for sale. I travel a lot for work and I don't have the time to print and sell them.

@twiget That's totally fine, I wasn't expecting you to print them for me. Since you were kind enough to put the files up on printibles.com, I was planning on downloading them and using an online service like shapeways.com to print them and have them shipped to me, or maybe find a local 3D printing service. I was just curious if you noticed a difference in the screw holes between the two different sizes of paddles, like Gobo did.

Reactions: TWisTeD

twiget

Verified member
Apr 4, 2022
Cyberpunk 2077 V1.6 dropped yesterday so I figured it would be a perfect time to... You guessed it, design a 30 deg tilt stand for my Cyborg!

A coulpe hours in Fusion 360, and this is what I came up with:
30 Deg Platform.jpg

30 Deg Platform Finished 1.jpg

30 Deg Platform Finished 2.jpg

30 Deg Platform Finished 3.jpg

It's only 80mm long, so it easily fits on small printers like the Voron V0.1, and Mk3 Mini. It's got a 30 deg tilt with a minimal lift, to keep your wrist in a neutral position for long hours of gaming. It's on printables.com.

I haven't gotten much time with it yet, but depending on how it performs, I may create a template for grip tape to be applied to the bottom of the stand. If that's something you guys are interested in, let me know.

Happy gaming!

twiget

Verified member
Apr 4, 2022
Turns out my V1 tilt stand isn't terribly stable. It likes to roll, so back to Fusion. I wanted to do something with some curves this time, and this is what I came up with.

20 Deg Antiroll.jpg

It's a bit more organic looking, and the bottom reminds me of a deformed version of the Alienware logo.
Bottom.jpg

And a couple of action shots:
20220911_093945.jpg

20220911_094012.jpg

20220911_094020.jpg

20220911_094034.jpg

I know, use a sharper razor next time...

I did 2 versions this time, one with a 30 degree tilt, the other at 20 degrees. The one in the pics above is the 20 degree version. Both models are on Printables.com.

Happy gaming.

Reactions: TWisTeD and Gobo

twiget

Verified member
Apr 4, 2022
I was just curious if you noticed a difference in the screw holes between the two different sizes of paddles, like Gobo did.

Didn't mean to ignore you @LauraFranke. I'm not sure why Gobo had issues with the holes in the 8mm paddles. The 11mm and 8mm models are identical except for the height.

That being said, there is going to be some variation from printer to printer, especially hobby level printers.

I've never used a printing service. Maybe you can request that they run a 2.4mm drill bit through the holes to make sure they are sized correctly.

TWisTeD

Verified member
May 10, 2022
Didn't mean to ignore you @LauraFranke. I'm not sure why Gobo had issues with the holes in the 8mm paddles. The 11mm and 8mm models are identical except for the height.

That being said, there is going to be some variation from printer to printer, especially hobby level printers.

I've never used a printing service. Maybe you can request that they run a 2.4mm drill bit through the holes to make sure they are sized correctly.
Hi @twiget,
I have to agree with @Gobo, the holes on the 8mm knuckles do seem to be slightly smaller than those on the 11mm even when printed on the same printer with the same filament. Comparing them through MS Paint 3D (I don't have anything fancier) and you can see that the 8mm model has slightly smaller holes, at least on the files downloaded from Printables. That said they work awesomely with a little tidying and drilling out the holes (2.2mm seemed to do the trick), thanks for the great work. Getting someone to print me the stand now.

twiget

Verified member
Apr 4, 2022
Hey @TWisTeD, you and @Gobo are correct, the 11mm paddles do have a larger through hole at 2.7mm, whereas the 8mm one has a 2.1mm hole. I don't remember changing that. I'll update the models on Printables at some point in the near future.

I'm glad to hear the paddles are working well for you. I hope the stand works equally as well. Feel free to post a few action shots once you get everything set up.

Reactions: Gobo and TWisTeD

TWisTeD

Verified member
May 10, 2022
Hey @TWisTeD, you and @Gobo are correct, the 11mm paddles do have a larger through hole at 2.7mm, whereas the 8mm one has a 2.1mm hole. I don't remember changing that. I'll update the models on Printables at some point in the near future.

I'm glad to hear the paddles are working well for you. I hope the stand works equally as well. Feel free to post a few action shots once you get everything set up.
Here it is with 8mm knuckles and 20 degree tilt courtesy of @twiget's awesome 3D models. Would have preferred different colour for the knuckles but beggars can't be choosers when you're getting someone else to print them with what they had lying around. Did have to drill out the holes for the knuckles but not too difficult.

Twiget's Mods  (1).jpg
Twiget's Mods  (2).jpg
Twiget's Mods  (3).jpg
Twiget's Mods  (4).jpg

Reactions: twiget

twiget

Verified member
Apr 4, 2022
Congrats on winning the August giveaway, @TWisTeD, your Cyborg looks great. Let me know how the tilt stand works for you. It would be nice to get some feedback from someone other than myself. (y)

Reactions: TWisTeD

Aladara

Apr 19, 2023

I too am a G13 gamepad addict! I have had 2 and the pricing has gotten ridiculous. Also, the programing became challenging each time a new windows released AND Logitech no longer supports the gamepad ;(
I got this Cyborg a few days ago and I do like it; BUT, I still miss my G13 because it fit my female hands quite well. I haven't gotten the placement and configuration perfect yet, but I will work on it.